Rotary Park Pool

 

Rotary Park Pool, or otherwise known as Tenth or sometimes, Eleventh Street Park, has been around for years for kids to enjoy. In 1930, the Town of New Toronto made available as park land, the property at the foot of 11th Street, and the Rotary Club equipped this park with swings, see-saws, and other usual equipment found in playgrounds. As an expression of appreciation of the Clubs efforts in this direction the property was named Rotary Park. (An Historical Sketch 1930-1986: Rotary Club of Etobicoke, author: Ron Funnell) In 1958, an electric clock was installed in the park, also donated by the Rotary Club. Im not sure where that clock ended up.

 

Below are links to websites for the architects that designed the current infrastructure. And pictures from the 1940s showing the park area. Of interest is the wishing well that stood in the park.

 

http://www.blackwell.on.ca/projects/rotaryparkpool.htm

 

http://mjmarchitects.com/profile/about_mjm.htm

 

For a history of the Rotary Club of Etobicoke, please see: http://www.rotaryetob.org/history%20etobicoke.htm