Century United Church
1891, Mr. Charles Segsworth, a layman of the Mimico Methodist
Church, became interested
in providing a Sunday school for the children of the New Toronto community
because he saw some boys playing in an open field on a Sunday afternoon. Two years later, in March 1893, Rev. G.W.
Brown, pastor of the Mimico Methodist Church held the first weeknight service
in New Toronto at Reid’s Hall, and in February 1894, the first Sunday afternoon
preaching service was held. The church
later moved to the office of a lumber firm next to a house on Sixth Street, and
then to its own church home in 1909.
May 15th, 1909, the cornerstone of a new Methodist church was being laid.
The May 15th, 1909 edition of the Toronto Daily Star reports:
"The corner-stone of a new Methodist
church, in New Toronto was laid this afternoon, J.R.L. Starr, K.C., handling
the trowel. The service in connection with the ceremony was conducted by
Rev. Jos. E. Wilson, pastor of the church, a number of Toronto ministers being present, including
Rev. Dr. German, chairman of the Toronto West district; Rev. Dr. Ilincks, and
Rev. J.D. Fitzpatrick. The building, while not a large one, will be of
artistic design, constructed of brick and stone, and have a seating capacity of
nearly 250, with a large basement fitted up for Sunday school purposes.
The new church is on the corner of Birmingham
Fifth Street. "
New Toronto Methodist was part of
the Mimico circuit until 1915, when it became a separate charge supplied by
students. Rev. J.A. Walker was a student
pastor at the church from 1916 to 1919.
He then left to go to China
as a missionary, and the June 4, 1925 edition of The Advertiser reports that
they were hoping for his return from China
for the opening ceremonies of the new Century United
Church on Ninth Street. The same article portrays how significant the
new church on Ninth Street
was to Toronto:
TORONTO TO HAVE
THE FIRST UNITED CHURCH DEDICATION
the past seven months there has been quietly growing up on Ninth Street, New Toronto’s new church
building that for attractiveness and convenience will not be excelled by any
other church of its size in or around Toronto. Although it was not foreseen by those who
first planned it, it is to have the distinction of being the first new church
in the whole dominion dedicated by the United Church of Canada. The opening ceremony has been fixed for June
The building on Sixth
Street became a jam factory for while, and today
is an Islamic mosque. The building on Ninth Street is now
and Israeli mosque.
In 1911, St. Margaret's Anglican
Church was completed on Sixth
Street and still stands today. The cornerstone
of the church was laid on June 10th, 1910, on St. Margaret’s Day.
Like Fifth Street School (see the section on Education), the first Anglican
church services were held in a building owned by the Independent Order of
Foresters called Hunt’s Hall at 220
Below are some extracted pages from the pamphlet that details the church
Link to St. Margaret’s
Golden Jubilee Pamphlet
St. Teresa’s parish was established in September 1924 by the
late Archbishop Neil NcNeil and Father A. T. Clancy was appointed parish
priest. Services were held first in
Century Hall on Sixth St. Construction on the church on 10th St. commenced
in the autumn of 1924 and the church was used for sacred service for the first
time on Sunday, March 15th, 1925, when Archbishop McNeil blessed the new
edifice. Until 1934 priests from St.
Michael’s College assisted Father Clancy, but then he received an assistant,
Rev. T.J. McCabe, who later went to Orangeville; succeeded in turn by Rev. V.L.
Baker who left in October 1936, and was succeeded by Rev. Thomas
Marchildon. In the summer of 1936, a
very successful vacation school was held under the supervision of three Sisters
of St. Joseph’s convent and 140 children attended.
The adjoining Separate
School was built in June
1957 and was enlarged in the early 60’s.
Rev. M.J. Carroll was the pastor in 1963, assisted by Rev. P. Doherty
and Rev. P. Switalski. Rev. Carroll came
to the parish in 1938.
The picture on the far left is from the 1951 Souvenir
booklet of New Toronto, while the second picture is from the 1963 Golden
Juliblee booklet of New Toronto and New Toronto Hydro.