In 1906, the Grand Trunk Railway opened the Mimico Yards in New Toronto. To the left is a photograph of the Mimico Yards in 1955 looking west from the Mimico Train Station.
A line ran south over New Toronto and Birmingham Streets with several tracks near 8th Street to reach the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. On November 5th, 1919, legislation passed for the Canadian Government to take over the GTR, and on May 21st, 1920, the GTR operations were handed over to Canadian National Railway. On January 30th, 1923, the GTR was officially amalgamated with CNR and today the old Mimico Yards is the maintenance building for CNR, ViaRail and the Go Train.
In the 1890 Mimico map (see the Early History page), there is an indication of a line of the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway running through New Toronto less than a kilometre south of the GTR, but I have yet to confirm the historical details on that line. The Old Time Trains Website tells us that:
"Mimico Switch Line Railway was Ontario incorporated in 1891 " to build an industrial spur over lands of the Mimico Real Estate Security Co. Ltd. in Etobicoke Township, from a point on the Grand Trunk Railway to Lake Ontario; no powers to expropriate private lands; authority to arrange for operation by the Grand Trunk Railway Co. Of Canada, the Canadian Pacific Railway Co., or the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Ry. Co." This unique "railway" is believed to be the long spur in New Toronto, running south over New Toronto Street, and Birmingham Street parallel to 8th Street, to reach several industries including the 8 tracks at Goodyear Tire & Rubber. A distance of about one mile. How long it legally existed before being sold to the GTR or CNR is unknown. It must be remembered that in the 1890's the railway did not have to build any tracks to serve industries. They preferred for you to bring it to a team track. Some had to take different types of action to get service.